Composting is easy, takes little time or space and is a great way of reducing the amount of rubbish put in the refuse. Find out what you need and how to do it.
Garden and kitchen waste and small amounts of shredded paper and cardboard makes great compost. We encourage householders to reduce their waste and recycle using compost bins, food digesters and water butts. To help, we make these available to residents at a fraction of the usual cost. Depending upon the amount of space available, a bin is available to suit your needs.
Waste differs in its composting speed and end value. Items that are quick to rot and provide important nitrogen are tea bags, grass cuttings, old flowers and nettles, coffee grounds and filter papers, vegetable peelings, salad leaves and fruit scraps.
Slower to rot, cardboard, egg boxes, scrunched up paper, fallen leaves, sawdust, twigs, branches and bark provide carbon and fibre and allow air into the compost.
Never allow meat, cooked veg, diseased plants, nappies, dog poo or cat litter, dairy products, perennial weeds or weeds with seed heads into your compost bin.
Advice for setting up a compost bin, making compost and how to use compost can be found at Recycle Now.
Subsidised Compost Bins
The following compost bins are all part of the offers run by Straight Plc get composting scheme.
There are a range of compost bins that will turn organic household and garden waste into rich compost ideal for use in your garden and plant pots. We have made available a home composter to purchase to help you recycle more at home.
- £19.98 - 220 litre standard Home Composter available from mail order, buy one get one half price (+ £5 .99 delivery per order) Tel 0844 571 4444 or visit Get Composting
- £22.98 - 330 litre standard Home Composter available from mail order, buy one get one half price (+ £5 .99 delivery per order) Tel 0844 571 4444 or visit Get Composting
- £19.98 - 220 litre standard Home Composter bin available from Paradise Park, Newhaven (buy one get one half price offer not valid at garden centres)
- £22.98 - 330 litre standard Home Composter bins are also available via mail order or Paradise Park, Newhaven (buy one get one half price offer not valid at garden centres)
Kitchen Composter Kit
The Kitchen Composter is small enough to be kept in the kitchen and takes all food waste for composting. This includes cooked and uncooked food, meat, fish, dairy products, fruit and vegetables. Food can be placed into the airtight Kitchen Composter and sprinkled with a handful of the Bokashi activator supplied.
This is made with friendly bacteria which starts the composting process off and neutralises any odours. Any excess liquid produced can be drained off and diluted for use as plant feed or poured down drains to prevent algae build-up and odours.
The contents can be safely buried in soil or placed in a conventional compost bin or heap after two weeks. This helps make nutrient rich compost. The process is clean and easy to use, has no flies or nasty smells.
- £39.00 available via mail order (+ £5.99 delivery per order). Telephone 0844 571 4444 or visit Get Composting for details
The market leading Rainsaver ® Water Butt has been designed for collecting rainwater for use in the garden. The Rainsaver ® Water Butt is the biggest selling water butt in the UK and is widely used around Europe.
It comes complete with a child-safe locking lid and a tap. Other accessories such as a rain diverter kit and a water butt stand are also available. Made from recycled plastic and guaranteed for 5 years.
- Water But Kit 190 litres: £39.98 + £5.99 delivery per order and buy one get one half price. This offer is not available at garden centre. Tel 0844 571 4444 or visit Get Composting
Other Compost Bins
The following bins are available from websites, garden centres and mail order companies.
The Green Johanna composter uses a method called 'hot composting' to reduce waste all-year round. It will compost two-parts cooked or uncooked food waste, including meat, fish, bones, dairy products, vegetables and fruit, to one-part garden waste. This produces a rich compost all-year round and helps with waste being disposed of immediately.
- Available via mail order only and is not part of the council's subsidised scheme from Green Cone Limited. Tel 0800 731 2572 or visit Great Green Systems
The Green Cone reduces food waste to its natural components of water, carbon dioxide and a small residue. The solar-heated garden unit takes all cooked and uncooked food waste including meat, fish, bones, dairy products, vegetables and fruit.
- Available via mail order only and is not part of the council's subsidised scheme from Green Cone Limited. Tel 0800 731 2572 or visit Great Green Systems - Green Cone
A Wormery is a container that contains composting worms. It can be used to breakdown kitchen and garden waste to produce a fine compost for your garden. A compost worm differs from a normal garden worm in that it eats and lives on the decaying foods on the surface, whereas a garden worm burrows deep into the ground.
A Wormery is easy and fun to use, simply add your worms then your waste food, and after a few months your worms will have eaten it all and left behind a fantastic fertiliser called vermicompost, which is very high in nutrients.
Cost: £59 available via mail order (+ £5.99 delivery per order). Telephone 0844 571 4444 or visit Get Composting for details.