Types of Building Regulations Applications

Information and guidance notes for Building Control Application Forms.

Building Control Application Forms

  • You can email your completed application form and associated documents to us at building.control@lewes.gov.uk
  • You can also submit your application online via the LABC Portal or via the Planning Portal 
  • If you would prefer to submit a paper copy by post, you can download a form below. To make a payment for your application, you can either post a cheque along with your application form, or you can pay over the phone once we've processed your application.

Full Plans Application

A Full Plans application is suitable for all types of building work and when you are working to architect's or engineer's plans. Under a Full Plans application, your plans will be checked by a Building Control Surveyor within 15 working days and a decision will be issued within an agreed time of 5 or 8 weeks. This ensures your builder will be working to Building Regulation approved drawings.

Please note, a Full Plans application is obligatory for all commercial works.

When submitting a Full Plans application, please provide us with one set of the following:

  • A Full Plans application form
  • Detailed plans illustrating how the Building Regulations will be met (drawn to scales of 1:50, 1:100 or 1:200 (block plans should be around 1:1250)
  • A specification of the works relevant to Building Regulations issues
  • Structural calculations (where relevant)
  • SAP calculations and an Energy Performance Certificate EPC (where relevant)


  • The approval is your assurance that your builder will be building to approved drawings, allowing costings to be more accurate.


  • Although you can begin work within 48 hours of submitting the application, it is advisable to wait for your approval (which can take up to 8 weeks, though is generally much less).

It is recommended that keep your approval safe as it will be required by the solicitor if you ever wish to sell your property.


For Full Plans applications, we charge in two stages:

1. Plan charge - this is payable immediately after you have submitted your application to us. Payment can be made by cheque payable to Lewes District Council, or by credit/debit card by calling us on 01273 471600, option 1, extension 8349. This charge is for us to check and approve the plans.
2. Inspection charge - this will be invoiced following commencement of works and after we've made our first site inspection. We will send you a single invoice which covers all inspections.  

Form Reference: BR2

Building Notice Application

A Building Notice application is appropriate for all simple domestic building works, providing you are not building over a public sewer. If you are building over a sewer, a Full Plans application will be required.


  • You may start work 48 hours after submitting your application.


  • You do not have the reassurance of working to approved plans as with a Full Plans application.
  • Your builder must be fully aware of all Building Regulations that apply to the work. Following our site inspections we may require works built incorrectly to be amended, which will incur further costs.
  • Works to non-domestic properties and buildings over public sewers must be carried out under a Full Plans application.


A single fee is payable for site inspections which is payable immediately after you have submitted your application to us. Payment can be made by cheque payable to Lewes District Council, or by credit/debit card by calling us on 01273 471600, option 1, extension 8349.

Form Reference: BR1

Regularisation Application (for unauthorised works)

A Regularisation is a retrospective application which is used for works which have already commenced or are complete.

We strongly advise that you do not put yourself in a situation where a Regularisation is necessary, as carrying out building works without consent is illegal and contravenes the Building Act 1984. This type of application is likely to cause you more expense and delay, or even loss of the sale of your property if you are in the process of selling. We may require elements of the structure to be exposed in order to carry out inspections and you may need to amend works that have not been carried out to the correct standards.

This application can only be used for work carried out after 11 November 1985.

Form Reference: BR39