Building Regulations and Approved Documents
Building Regulations are made under powers provided in the Building Act 1984 and apply in England and Wales.
The current edition of the regulations is The Building Regulations 2010 and most building projects are required to comply with them. They comprise minimum standards on all aspects of building work:
- Structural integrity
- Fire safety and means of escape
- Site preparation and resistance to contaminants and resistance to moisture
- Toxic substances
- Resistance to the passage of sound
- Drainage and waste disposal
- Combustion appliances and fuel storage systems
- Protection from falling, collision and impact
- Energy conservation
- Access to and use of buildings
- Safety in relation to impact, opening and cleaning
- Electrical safety
The detailed Approved Documents are available on the Planning Portal website.
Further procedural guidance on the Building Regulations and Fire Safety can be found on the Planning Portal.