Lewes District Council

Popular Tasks

Contact Us

Building Control
Lewes District Council
Southover House
Southover Road
East Sussex

Tel: 01273 484477
Fax: 01273 484452

Find Southover House
on Google Maps

Building Work to Party Walls

Information regarding building work affecting walls shared with a neighbour.

When carrying out work that will affect a Party Wall (a wall shared with a neighbouring property), you will need to give written notification to your neighbour Should your building work cause damage to their property, it is your obligation to remedy the situation. 

Party Wall issues are a civil legal matter between adjoining neighbours, so the Local Authority cannot become involved. You are required to employ a Party Wall Surveyor or a solicitor to mediate and draw up a Party Wall Agreement. An explanatory booklet can be found on the Communities website.