Renting In The Private Sector

What to consider when renting from a private landlord and the information and money that may be required.

You can rent a property direct from a landlord or more usually through a letting agent.

You will usually be asked to provide a deposit of approximately one month's rent and a month’s rent in advance. You may be eligible for help through our Rent Deposit Scheme.

An employer’s reference, references from previous addresses and a guarantor may all be requested when submitting an application.

In addition you may be required to undergo a credit check. This will look at your financial history.

Tenancy Deposit Protection Scheme

All deposits taken by landlords and letting agents must be protected by a government-authorised tenancy deposit scheme. This means the money is stored in a third-party account, not the landlord’s.