Noise Nuisance and Anti-Social Behaviour

Noise is defined as unwanted sound and it can come from a number of sources, such as: loud music, barking dogs, machinery, construction and DIY activity, shouting, banging doors, alarms and transport.

Noisy Neighbours

Noise from neighbours can be annoying, irritating and very disturbing. The majority of noise problems can be resolved by talking amicably to the person responsible. In the majority of cases they may not be aware that their activities are causing disturbance.

However, if talking to your neighbours does not help to resolve the issue, then we may be able to help. To be a nuisance, noise has to be unreasonable to an average person.  When considering whether it is unreasonable, we take account of:

  • The type of noise
  • How loud it is
  • How often it occurs
  • The time of day it occurs

Something that occurs very rarely and is of short duration is unlikely to be a nuisance.  It is unrealistic to expect absolute peace and quiet where we live but similarly no-one has the right to make as much noise as they please.

In some cases, we may decide not to take further action. This may depend on the number of complaints received or lack of substantial evidence of nuisance. In such cases, you may wish to take you own private action.


Report a noise complaint

If you would like to report an noise nuisance complaint to us, please use our online form.

Anti-social Behaviour

Anti-social behaviour (ASB) occurs when "a person has acted in a manner that causes or is likely to cause harassment, alarm or distress to one or more persons not of the same household as him/herself" (Crime and Disorder Act 1998). It may be noise nuisance, verbal abuse, criminal damage or other forms of harassment.

If you are experiencing ASB, you should:

Community Trigger

The Community Trigger gives victims and communities the right to require action is taken where an ongoing problem has not been addressed. You can use the Community Trigger if you have reported three separate incidents within the past six months to the police, the council or your housing provider. You can activate the Community Trigger on behalf of someone else if you have their written consent.

You need to fill out our community trigger online referral form, linked at the bottom of this page, giving details of the case. The Community Trigger is designed to ensure that there is a review where cases have been reported and no action has been taken. It is not a complaints procedure.