Registering To Vote

Find out who can register, which elections you can vote in and how to register to vote. Also, if you are already registered, tell us about any change in circumstances.

Voting and electoral registration within the Lewes district is handled by our Electoral Services team, regardless of the type of elections or who is up for nomination. The Electoral Services office handles all vote and election issues.

The Electoral Commission is an independent body set up by the UK Parliament to oversee the overall electoral process.

Electoral Registration

There have been changes to the way you register to vote

A new revised voter's register was published on 17 February 2014, but people can be added to the register throughout the year under the rolling registration process.

You can register to vote if you are:

  • Aged 18 or over
  • A British, Commonwealth, Irish Republic or European Union citizen
  • Not disqualified from registration

The quickest and easiest way to register to vote is to go online at
You can email or call us on (01273) 484116 with your name and address and request a form to be sent to you in the post.

Or, you can download a paper Voter Registration Application Form, print and complete a form in A3 format and post to:
Electoral Services, Southover House, Southover Road, Lewes, BN7 1AB.

You can also hand deliver the form to the above address.

Please remember

If you move house, you should register at your new address straight away; you don't have to wait for the next annual canvass.

  • You must register every year; you are not automatically registered, even if you pay council tax.
  • You can also register at more than one address if you are a student, but you can only vote once in any single election.
  • Special category voters such as an overseas elector, a crown servant, in the armed forces or homeless will need to complete separate forms.

Change of Voter Details

Monthly Alterations to the revised Register of Electors 2014

Following the annual canvass and the publication of the revised Register of Electors on 17 February 2014, people may register under the rolling registration procedure.

Under Rolling Registration, monthly updates are published showing the names of those that have been added, deleted or amended since the publication of the Register. The process is subject to strict deadlines. The date the form is received by Electoral Services determines when the amendments to the Register will be made.

If you are registered to vote and have recently moved house or changed your personal details, you can change inform us here.

Voting Locally

To vote within the Lewes District you need to be over 18 years-old on or before the date of an election. You may register to vote before your birthday in preparation.

Your name needs to appear on the electoral register to state you're eligible to vote. There are certain restrictions on voting depending on the type of election taking place:

  • Overseas electors can vote in UK parliamentary elections but not in local government elections.
  • European Union citizens cannot vote in UK parliamentary elections but can vote in local government elections.

The Electoral Commission’s About My Vote website has a list of frequently asked questions about registering to vote. 

Lewes District boundary map

Electoral Boundaries

Registering to vote is based on the district you live in, not by the seat you are represented by.

For example, if you live in Peacehaven, you will register to vote with Lewes District Council. However, the election (polling stations, polling cards, nomination of candidates etc.) is handled by Brighton & Hove City Council.

Similarly, if you live in Polegate, you will register to vote with Wealden District Council, but the election will be handled by Lewes District Council.